Tuesday, July 1, 2008

July.. Time to Prune Hydrangea


Pruning has to be done for the health of Hydrangea BEFORE August. Why August? This is because by that time, Hydrangea already produce flower buds on stems around August, September or October for the following year's blooms. If those stems are removed (pruned) in this period,the bloom buds will be removed, which will result in fewer blooms the coming year. Which means, June and July is the best time for pruning.

Note that pruning is not the same thing as removing the dead blooms. Pruning is somehow cut off the existing blooms which can be a painful experience. How would anyone wish to trim off the attractive blooms which is in blossom condition?

I myself reluctant to be pruned. I want to stay in this sweet condition. Looking at my own blossom blooms. Yet, I see my gardener (God) standing beside me. I guess He is heartache to cut down these beautiful blooms as well. But, He MUST do so. He has to trim off the old blooms so that the bloom buds that covered underneath will grow in coming year.

God took a big gardening scissors and cutting off my old blooms.

I was crying and begging :"Please Papa, please don't cut it off. It means alot to me. It gives me good memories. Why can't I keep these old blooms?"

He just kept quiet and continue with His work. After that, He standing there starring at me, He gasped. I guess my condition must be terrible. I sob, I turned away and refused to see Him. I felt shameful with my current ugly look especially when people walk passing me.

Slowly, He squated down, patting on my head and said:" My girl, my forever beautiful Hydrangea. Don't be sad. These blooms are pretty but not healthy anymore. I felt pain to cut it off too but I must do what is best for You. This is exactly the correct timing to prune. Then, I shall see your blossom blooms soon. If I don't do this now, you might end up having nothing in the coming year. Be patient, my girl."

I bursted into tears once again. Hugging my Heavenly Daddy even harder. I didn't say anything anymore, so is He. He hugged me tight. At that moment, I realised. I can be ugly Hydrangea, I can be living without any blooms. But surely I can't live without my great gardener, Heavenly Father, My Almight God.


No comments: